Patriot Travel Medical Insurance
Conditions and Exclusions
Charges for the following services, treatments and/or conditions, among others, are excluded from coverage under the Patriot plans.
- A Pre-existing Condition which is defined as any injury, illness, sickness, disease, or other physical, medical, mental or nervous condition, disorder or ailment that, with reasonable medical certainty, existed at the time of application or at any time during the three years prior to the effective date of the insurance, including any subsequent, chronic or recurring complications or consequences related thereto or arising therefrom, whether or not previously manifested or known, diagnosed, treated, or disclosed.
- Treatment or surgeries which are elective, investigational, experimental or for research purposes.
- War, military action, terrorism, political insurrection, protest, or any act thereof. The Company will not pay for a Political Evacuation if there is a travel advisory in effect on or within six (6) months prior to the Insured Person’s date of arrival in the Host Country.
- Immunizations and routine physical exams.
- Treatment of Temporomandibular Joint or dental treatment, except as expressly provided for in the Certificate of Insurance.
- Venereal disease, AIDS virus, AIDS-related illness, ARC Syndrome, or AIDS, and the cost of testing for these conditions, and charges for treatment or surgeries which are incurred by any Insured who was HIV+ at time of enrollment into this insurance.
- Pregnancy, childbirth, birth control, artificial insemination, treatment for infertility or impotency, sterilization or reversal thereof, or abortion.
- Any illness or injury sustained while taking part in: Amateur Athletics, Professional Athletics, or other athletic activity which is organized and/or sanctioned by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (and/or any other collegiate sanctioning or governing body), or the International Olympic Committee. The following Adventure Sports are excluded unless the Adventure Sports Rider is purchased: abseiling, BMX, bobsledding, bungee jumping, canyoning, caving, hang gliding, heli-skiing, high diving, hot air ballooning, inline skating (with proper use of helmet and pads), jet skiing, jungle zip lining, kayaking, mountain biking, parachuting, paragliding, parascending, piloting a non-commercial aircraft, rappelling, rock climbing or mountaineering (ropes and guides to 4500m from ground level), scuba diving (to 50m), skydiving, snow boarding, snowmobiling, snow skiing, spelunking, surfing, trekking, whitewater rafting (to Class V), wildlife safaris, and windsurfing. All such activities must be carried out in strict accordance with the rules, regulations and guidelines of the applicable Governing Body or Authority of each such activity.
Injury sustained while participating in contact sports of any kind, racing of any kind, any rodeo activity, BASE jumping, kiteboarding, mountaineering or climbing or trekking above elevation 4500 meters above ground level or without proper ropes or guides; luge, motocross, Moto-X, ski jumping, sub-aquatic activities below 50 meters, whitewater rafting exceeding Class V difficulty, and/or adventure sports activity not expressly covered hereunder are excluded regardless of which plan or rider is selected.
- Vision or ear tests and the provision of visual or hearing aids.
- Vocational, recreational, speech or music therapy.
- Treatment while confined primarily to receive custodial care, educational or rehabilitative care, or nursing services.
- Charges, injuries and/or illnesses resulting or arising from or occurring during the commission or continuing perpetration of a violation of law by the insured, including without limitation, the engaging in an illegal occupation or act, but excluding minor traffic violations.
- Treatment for, and injuries and/or illnesses resulting or arising from, substance abuse or drug addiction.
- Injury and/or illness resulting or arising from being under the influence of alcohol or drugs; and injury or illness resulting from operating any type of vehicle after consuming any alcohol or drugs.
- Willful self-inflicted injury or illness.
- Treatment required as a result of or arising from complications from a treatment or condition not covered under the certificate.
- Any services or supplies performed or provided by a relative of the Insured or provided at no cost to Insured.
- Treatment for mental and nervous disorders.
- Organ or tissue transplants or related services.
- Illness or injury where the trip to the host country is undertaken for treatment or advice for such illness or injury, except as expressly provided for in the certificate of insurance.
- Treatment incurred as a result of or arising from exposure to nuclear radiation, and/or radioactive material(s).
- Any infection of the urinary tract (or Illness arising therefrom), that occurs within ninety (90) days of the Effective Date of coverage and that requires Treatment of the Insured Person in a Hospital; provided that any such Illness will be deemed by the Company to be a Pre-existing Condition. See the “Sudden and Unexpected Recurrence of a Pre-existing Condition,” description within the benefits section.
This web page contains only a consolidated and summary description of all current Patriot Travel Medical Insurance benefits, conditions, limitations and exclusions. A certificate containing the complete Policy Wording with all terms, conditions and exclusions will be included with the fulfillment kit. IMG reserves the right to issue the most current Policy Wording for this insurance plan in the event this application and/or brochure has expired, is modified, or is replaced with a newer version. Current Policy Wordings are available upon request.
These Patriot Travel Medical Insurance plans are underwritten by Sirius International Insurance Corporation (publ), rated A (excellent) by A.M. Best and A- by Standard & Poor's (at the time of this update). Sirius International is a White Mountains Re company.
Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (“PPACA”): This insurance is not subject to, and does not provide certain of the insurance benefits required by, the United States PPACA. PPACA requires certain U.S. residents and citizens to obtain PPACA compliant insurance coverage. In certain circumstances penalties may be imposed on U.S. residents and citizens who do not maintain PPACA compliant insurance coverage. You should consult your attorney or tax professional to determine if PPACA’s requirements are applicable to you. The policy contains the plan benefits, including a lifetime maximum that you have selected. Please review your choices to ensure that you have sufficient coverage to meet your medical needs.