Medical Evacuation from Medjet Assist
Membership Rules & Regulations
- Must be under age 75.*
- A family membership shall include the named primary member, his or her spouse and up to five of their unmarried dependent children (including step, foster or legally adopted children) under the age of 19 or up to age 23, if a full-time student in actual attendance at an accredited school or college and dependent on the primary member for support and maintenance. If a birth or legal adoption occurs during the year of a family membership, the new dependent is automatically covered upon notification. A dependent child, as used above, is one who lives regularly and permanently with the primary member in a parent-child relationship and is chiefly dependent upon the member for support.
- Membership enrollment and renewal are subject to approval by the MedjetAssist membership committee.
- Membership is valid only if the appropriate membership fee is collected.
*Members who have reached age 75 or older at the time of their enrollment are not eligible for membership benefits under the Basic Plan. Diamond Membership applications are available and must be reviewed and approved prior to enrollment for individuals age 75-85. All membership applications and/or enrollment forms must include accurate dates of birth in order to ensure eligibility for benefits.
- You must be hospitalized as an inpatient more than 150 miles from your primary residence as listed on your enrollment application and continue to meet inpatient criteria at the receiving hospital.
- If you are medically discharged from the hospital or leave against medical advice and are physically able to travel under you own power, you will no longer be eligible for air medical transport benefits.
- Due to the limited medical facilities and testing available on cruise ships, in some cases the MedjetAssist Medical Director may require the member to be admitted to a hospital on-shore before scheduling air medical transportation to another hospital.
- All arrangements for medical evacuation and repatriation must be made by MedjetAssist. Because MedjetAssist is an assistance program and not an insurance plan, we will not reimburse members for expenses they incur on their own. Decisions regarding urgency of the case, the best timing and the most suitable means of transportation will be made by the MedjetAssist medical department after consulting with the local attending physician and the receiving physician.
- MEDJET aircraft are fully equipped intensive care aircraft staffed with specially trained medical teams. However, if the member's condition permits, the member may be transported by scheduled commercial airline, but still in the care of a MEDJET medical team.
- Air medical services are limited to two separate flights per membership per year, except for repatriation flights involving enrolled multiple family members requiring simultaneous repatriation. Under these circumstances, each family member will receive only one fully paid flight.
Air Transportation Restrictions
- Both the originating and receiving hospital must be reasonably accessible by ground ambulance to transport the member to and from an airfield capable of accommodating MEDJET aircraft.
- Membership provides access to MEDJET supplied aircraft and does not include transports by helicopter or other types of transportation from remote areas or islands unable to accommodate a MEDJET.
- Due to the high risk of sending U.S. registered aircraft and personnel into countries where the U.S. State Department has issued travel restrictions, membership services are subject to exclusion in these areas.
- A member with infections under treatment at the time of enrollment will not be entitled to air medical transportation for any conditions related to that infection.
- A member with tuberculosis or other chronic airborne pathogens may not be transported.
- A member beyond the second trimester of pregnancy may not be transported.
- A member on an organ transplant list prior to enrollment will not be entitled to air medical transport services for that transplant.
- A person who applies for membership while hospitalized may not be accepted for membership and will not be entitled to air transport services for medical conditions related to that hospitalization.
- A member with mild lesions, simple injuries such as sprains, simple fractures or mild illness which can be treated by local doctors and do not prevent the member from continuing his or her trip or returning home does not qualify for air medical transport.
- A member traveling or living outside the contiguous United States for an unbroken period in excess or 90 days is not covered. Extended stay packages are available upon request.
- Family members, business associates, and/or traveling companions may accompany the patient, at no additional cost, on MEDJET aircraft during transport, providing space is available and the patient care is not compromised. Passengers accompanying patients transported on scheduled commercial aircraft will be responsible for their own airfare. Payment of membership fee entitles the member and the member's enrolled family to the membership services as published at no additional cost to the member. This membership permits MedjetAssist or its affiliates to collect for services rendered directly from the member's insurer or other provider, if available. If the member has no insurance coverage for the services rendered, the member is still entitled to all MedjetAssist benefits at no additional cost.
- While MedjetAssist makes every effort to accommodate its members, the patient and an accompanying passenger are limited to one small carry-on bag each due to limited space available on medical aircraft. MedjetAssist will arrange for additional luggage to be forwarded at the member's expense.
- MedjetAssist reserves the right to change or amend these rules and regulations from time to time without notice. MedjetAssist is solely responsible for the interpretation and application of the rules and regulations communicated above. All determinations by MedjetAssist shall be final and conclusive in each case. Memberships are non-transferable and non-refundable. By enrolling as a member you accept and agree to the terms and conditions of membership.
Organ Recipient Air Transportation
- MEDJET must be notified as soon as the member is placed on an active recipient list. This service is always subject to the timing of the transplant and aircraft availability. Potential organ recipients should always have multiple transportation options arranged.